Prompted by my friend at Mental Multivitamin, I am always happy to obsess nerdishly over books. I’ll try to keep this short.
1. What book (a classic?) do you hate?
The Giving Tree by Shel Silverstein. Though it does remind me to be a better, less selfish person.
2. To what extent do you judge people by what they read?
I shouldn’t but I do. But when I see someone reading a book I’ve consciously decided not to pick up, or that I’ve tried to read and disliked, it’s hard to feel a kinship.
3. What television series would you recommend as the literariest?
The A & E Pride and Prejudice miniseries.
4. Describe your ideal home library.
Shelves enough for all. Nothing stacked on its side.
5. Books or sex?
Both (but probably in that order, to be honest)
6. How do you decide what to read next?
It’s a balancing act. I’m in 3 book groups, and I have many bookish friends (including my husband) with whom I share recommendations. It’s definitely a holistic process, taking into account calendar, whether a movie’s coming out, whether it might be spoiled, what others are reading, if I feel guilty about having bought it, length…
7. How much do you talk about books in real life (outside of the blogging community)?
ALL THE TIME! Which is still never enough. I’m in 3 book groups, 2 of which meet monthly, and the other ever 6 weeks. One of them I started and moderate myself. I talk about books whenever I can, and if I’m at a loss with a person in conversation, I ask what they’re reading.
Bookish, blogging friends, how about you?